Stephanie here! Happy Wednesday to you all! Today I’m going to share one of my favorite old items to make new.
I really enjoy finding frumpy ole’ dresses at thrift stores, bringing them home, and giving them a fresh look. I’m going to show you how to very basically alter a 90′s dress.
1. Find a 90′s dress at your local thrift store. During your search, look for a print that catches your eye or a color that is your favorite to wear. Look for dresses that have a straight or box shape, and with no zipper. These are easier to alter (with basic sewing skills). I always like going with a dress that is a bit larger than my normal size so that I have some extra room to play with the fabric.
2. Measure and mark the length of the fabric you want to cut off of the bottom of the dress. Add an extra inch to account for the hemmed portion.
3. Apply a line of masking tape across the dress where you marked your measurement (this helps me to cut straight across). Cut off the fabric below the tape.
4. Snip off those shoulder pads.
5. Roll under the cut portion (about 1.5 inches) of the bottom dress fabric holding with straight pins. Sew the hem with your sewing machine.
6. Style with a coat, black tights, boots, and your favorite necklace for a fun winter outfit!