Today I thought I’d share a recipe with y’all because the rainy, cooler weather inspired me to make soup this week. I love this recipe because it is ridiculously EASY. I also have an unnatural love for black-eyed peas. In fact, this recipe might not excite others, but I personally, LOVE IT. It’s adapted from a recipe found in “Joy of Cooking: All About Vegetarian Cooking“.
- About 2 1/2 cups dried black eyed peas, rinsed, sorted, and soaked
- 3 medium stalks of celery, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 cups cold water
- 2 tbls Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbls louisiana hot sauce
- 1 tbls salt
- In a soup pot, gently cook, covered, but stirring occasionally until tender all of the vegetables.
- Add the black eyed peas and the water.
- Simmer, partially covered for an hour or until soft.
- Slightly mash the peas to thicken the soup.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and enjoy! (I served mine with gluten free cornbread)